Thursday, May 10, 2007

Finally an Update...

Been awhile, at first couldn't say anything because of the "can't say it until DC says it", then there was bad news, then got some good news that I could say...

In answer to my obvious questions I was told that they want covers for #13, #14, and #15. I was told that the series was given these three more issues and then "we'll see where we stand then"...btw what they want on those covers is the teams fighting the Vampire Nation in Europe...

A little reality check and clarification...the sales are still too low for them to allow me to draw any of these issues except for covers of course. I think the writer on these issues is gonna be JMD which is great because I have been having a great time tossing e-mails around with him. He seems to really want to get involved with the characters. This is great because it gives him time to get to know all the characters which will be great because I hear there is a good chance we might convince him to do the mini too, great, huh?!!. I think so. Other than these covers I am starting to work on a Superman/Batman story arc which has a wild story...actually something I asked for. I'm not sure I can name the writers yet, tho' the clue is there are two of them. Haven't seen any plot yet but their ideas in their synopsis are like I said wild and the speed in which they came up with this madness is breathtaking.

I then will most likely do a "special" one shot job for Wildstorm, with the WW's mini and other DC projects on the burner...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that Wetworks has been extended! I was hoping that it would last longer than expected, but here's hoping!!! Thanks again and keep up the GREAT work!!!

J. Nadiger said...

I'm glad that Wetworks gets a little extra life as an ongoing series.

Can you give us any updates about a collection? Will WildStorm collect Mike Carey's nine issues?

I should think that with Carey's Vertigo audiences, (and so used to collecting in graphic novels), that would beef up the "where we stand" considerably.

I also really like that you're working with another writer, since I think you and Carey worked REALLY well together, and I hope you can find a similar synergy with Dematteis.

I also like the idea of a series of mini series, especially if it means you can draw it.

Still, please let us know ASAP about a collection.

Damon_Zero said...

Hey Whilce, even though other writers might be doing the rest of the wetwork books, will you still have a lot of input on the stories or characters?? Because i really don't want the book to end up how the last series did, with the different writers adding and changing things. I really like what you have done to recreate wetworks and I don't want that to be a waste. By the way I love the story line so far. And is there going to be a trade collection on the first arc?

Damon

Unknown said...

Hi Whilce! Kamusta na? I just came across your blog and I wanted to stop by and say hello. Kick-ass work as always!

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear J.M will stay, promise me (us) that the last couple of covers will blow everybody's mind, what about a homeage to the first Wetworks vol.1 cover?

Lately, i has been going around with this idea in my head, to send you a copy of a Wetworks script, i wrote recently just for practices. If i find the time, i send it, if you doesn't have time or accept scripts, it's okay.

I don't think i will get the Superman/Batman story arc, if i like the writers i will get it or if sounds incredible good i will buy it.

In the end, it's sad to hear Wetworks going away, there are titles in the Wildstorm universe, that needs to be cancelled before Wetworks. Nope, not going to name any names.

Unknown said...

Glad to see you're working on Wetworks again. One of my favorite titles from back in the day. I'm a big fan and I can't wait to see it when they let you do more than covers.

Line Medic said...

Whilce,
Good to hear the news.
I make sure to leave base whenever my comic box contains an issue drawn by you. I've been traveling around a bunch, but I make sure to support your work whenever I can, no mater where.
Your style blazes with inventiveness.
Take your time with your health a "knock out" your drawings when time permits. You never disappoint me because I just say to myself "Jam Karat"
Salamat Po,
R

Hieu Le Bui said...

Don't DC know that Wetworks is Whilce Portacio and Whilce Portacio is Wetworks ? Good to know that you're sticking around with the DC folks. I would love you do something with the JLA or Teen Titants. Those are the X-MEN of DC and we all love what you did with X-MEN back in the late 80s.

Russ Sheath said...

I'd love to see a WW year one project, before they got the 'gold' and when they first met.

Anonymous said...

Hi Whilce!

Great to hear more Vampires are coming! I love the way you draw Vampires. I have another question, do you have an agent that sells any of your art? I was looking in particular for any of the Darkness Covers you once did, but of course any other Cover/great Splash from one of your works will do ;)

My e-mailaddress: rmaarschalkerweerd@gmail.com

Keep up the great work!

Roland

Anonymous said...

Hi Whilce!

Great to hear more Vampires are coming! I love the way you draw Vampires. I have another question, do you have an agent that sells any of your art? I was looking in particular for any of the Darkness Covers you once did, but of course any other Cover/great Splash from one of your works will do ;)

My e-mailaddress: rmaarschalkerweerd@gmail.com

Keep up the great work!

Roland